Dry mouth, also known as xerostomia, is a relatively common condition affecting up to 26% of men and 33% of women. Symptoms range in severity and include sticky, dry mouth, altered taste, dry throat, cracked and peeling lips, bad breath, difficulty with taste or swallowing, and inflamed oral tissue.
Dry mouth is associated with various prescription medications (e.g. anti-depressants, antihistamines, and medications for blood pressure, diabetes, anxiety, bladder, gastrointestinal tract, or seizures), autoimmune disease (e.g. Sjorgen’s Syndrome), physical trauma to the head or neck, advanced age, or other conditions.
Inadequate saliva production can lead to various problems including tooth decay, gum disease, oral infection, loss of taste, and/or difficulty swallowing. Treatment focuses on the relief of the signs and symptoms of dry mouth.
How to get medication to adhere to oral surfaces
A basic difficulty when treating oral conditions is keeping medication in contact with the cheek, gum, and tongue tissue in order to achieve results. Strategies for treatment of xerostomia/ dry mouth seek to relieve the symptoms and or treat underlying pathobiology.
HDRX Clinical Pharmacy utilizes a Mucoadhesive Polymer Technology to hold the medication in contact with oral mucosal, crevicular, and enamel surfaces. Health providers can increase adherence to medication with HDRX mucoadhesive technology.
Therapeutics Support- Multi-ingredient synergy
Mucoadhesive polymer technology provides hydration support and encourages extended contact between oral tissue and prescribed therapy.
Calcium phosphate (supersaturated) mouth rinse treatment has been shown to reduce the progression of dental caries in at-risk populations.
Malic acid has been shown to improve the quality of life and dry mouth sensation in patients with symptoms due to medications or from an unknown origin.
Stannous fluoride 0.2% sodium fluoride helps prevent dental decay.
N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC) breaks up thick secretions common in dry mouth (for techies, NAC cleaves disulfide bonds in mucous).
Xylitol may help prevent dental decay.
HDRX Compound for Dry Mouth
- Mucoadhesive delivery- enhanced contact time to deliver therapy
- Room temperature storage
- Sugar Free, Alcohol free
- Multi-ingredient Synergy
Consult with an HDRX clinical pharmacist today, 800.836.2303, or email@example.com
Available by prescription only.
- Xerostomia (Dry Mouth) (ada.org)
- Impact of 1% malic acid spray on the oral health-related quality of life of patients with xerostomia – PubMed (nih.gov)
- Long-term clinical observation of dental caries in salivary hypofunction patients using a supersaturated calcium-phosphate remineralizing rinse – PubMed (nih.gov)
- Efficacy of topical N-acetylcysteine as a part of multicomponent treatment for severe dry eye syndrome (onmedu.edu.ua)
- N-Acetylcysteine Rinse for Thick Secretion and Mucositis of Head and Neck Chemoradiotherapy (Alliance MC13C2): A Double-Blind Randomized Clinical Trial – PubMed (nih.gov)